- [00:06] In today’s episode I’m so excited to have Kwame Christian back on the show, a rare repeat guest, to talk about using anchoring in negotiations.
- [03:02] Kwame is the director of the American Negotiation Institute and host of the #1 negotiation podcast in the world, Negotiate Anything, which has over 2 million downloads in more than 180 countries.
- [05:27] At the American Negotiation Institute they do negotiation trainings and business consulting.
- [08:30] Kwame has a background in psychology.
- [08:47] Kwame’s philosophy for life is that the best things in life are on the other side of difficult conversations. His goal is to make these difficult conversations easier so you can live the best version of your life.
- [09:04] Negotiation is a life philosophy that we filter every life conversation through. He thinks of every conversation in terms of a negotiation.
- [11:39] There is a bias where we think that negotiation has to be adversarial. It doesn’t need to be that way.
- [12:00] Negotiation is any time you are in a conversation and somebody in the conversation wants something. The people that you negotiate with the most are the people closest to you.
- [14:24] In every situation somebody wants something even if it is just to be heard or understood.
- [15:14] If you think of a conversation as a negotiation then you are going to be more explicit with your desires and invite the other person to share what it is they want out of the interaction.
- [17:31] Any interaction (even when money doesn’t exchange hands), you are still trying to sell someone an idea that you need them to buy in on.
- [18:06] Anchoring is the most powerful negotiation technique. You should always try to use it in some capacity.
- [18:31] Anchoring with the most aggressive request that you can reasonably justify.
- [21:02] If you have as much information or more information then you make the first offer because then you are in a position to create a competent anchor. If you have less information then you let them make the first offer and then you counter them.
- [22:56] There are some glaring mistakes you can make if you anchor without having enough information.
- [25:08] We need to be able to distinguish between rejection and resistance.
- [27:58] The things you say have an impact. You want to calibrate that impact for maximum impact.
- [29:57] Negotiation Genius talks about how to play defense when someone else anchors you.
- [31:20] Anchoring plays a huge role in our psychology and if we don’t recognize it we are going to do things that have a subtle impact on the subconscious of the person on the other side.
- [33:37] Negotiating the agenda is one of the most important negotiations that does not occur.
- [36:23] You have to be more mindful about what you are trying to accomplish.
- [37:42] It is helpful to know what the person you are negotiating with cares about most.
- [40:01] We have to ask questions and learn as much as we can so that we can try to solve the right problems.
- [40:44] Assertiveness is taken differently depending on who you are. The way you frame something may be different depending on your gender.
- [42:37] We have to play in the world we live in, but we can be doing things on the side to try and change them in the future.
- [43:19] Melina shares her closing thoughts.
- [45:05] Melina’s first book, What Your Customer Wants and Can’t Tell You is officially on presale and available on Amazon, Bookshop, Barnes & Noble, Book Depository, and Booktopia. Buy today and be one of the first to receive a copy when it officially launches May 11, 2021.
Thanks for listening. Don’t forget to subscribe on Apple Podcasts or Android. If you like what you heard, please leave a review on iTunes and share what you liked about the show.
I hope you love everything recommended via The Brainy Business! Everything was independently reviewed and selected by me, Melina Palmer. So you know, as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. That means if you decide to shop from the links on this page (via Amazon or others), The Brainy Business may collect a share of sales or other compensation.
- The Brainy Business® on Facebook
- The Brainy Business on Twitter
- The Brainy Business on Instagram
- The Brainy Business on LinkedIn
- Melina on LinkedIn
- The Brainy Business on Youtube
More from The Brainy Business:
- 🎉🎉🎉 Preorder Melina’s new book, What Your Customer Wants (And Can’t Tell You) on Amazon, Bookshop, and Barnes & Noble 🎉🎉🎉
- Apply now to join the book launch team (and read it before anyone else!)
Get the Books Mentioned on this Episode:
- Finding Confidence in Conflict: How to Negotiate Anything and Live Your Best Life by Kwame Christian
- Thinking Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman
- Negotiation Genius: How to Overcome Obstacles and Achieve Brilliant Results at the Bargaining Table and Beyond by Deepak Malhotra
- Women Don’t Ask: Negotiation and the Gender Divide by Linda Babcock and Sara Laschever
- Ask For It: How Women Can Use the Power of Negotiation to Get What They Really Want by Linda Babcock and Sara Laschever
- Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead by Sheryl Sandberg