- [00:07] In today’s episode I’m very excited to introduce you to Dr. Katy Milkman, author of the new book How To Change.
- [01:18] She leads amazing teams of students at Wharton and works with Angela Duckworth on the Behavior Change for Good Initiative. She is also the host of the Choiceology podcast, and her brand new book, How To Change, just came out this week.
- [03:34] Katy shares about her background and who she is.
- [05:35] Melina and Katy discuss the foreword of Katy’s new book written by Angela Duckworth (you won’t believe what she said!).
- [07:53] Katy shares about her fresh start research and how it all started.
- [09:11] There are moments throughout our lives that feel like new beginnings. New Years’ feels like a new beginning, but you can also have other new beginnings.
- [10:34] Their research on fresh starts and the power of those moments to change our motivation and therefore our ability to make an impact for the better on our lives is the biggest ah-ha for Katy from her research.
- [12:44] The fresh start research took about two years from the first conversation to the publication. It was quick because the findings weren’t subtle. (Katy and Melina discuss the differing timelines in academia and business.)
- [14:33] They had some results and it was clear what they had learned within a few months, but the insights and documenting of the results usually takes the longest.
- [15:45] Katy shares another favorite research project she was part of about making people grittier.
- [17:38] Instead of giving poorly performing students advice, they flipped the script and put them in the position to be the advice-givers to underclassmen.
- [19:01] When people are asked for advice, it improves their motivation to achieve in that domain.
- [20:56] There is this huge power in recognizing that when you coach others you are helping yourself.
- [23:21] Too often we don’t take the time to figure out what is the actual barrier to change.
- [24:10] It is important to make sure you are not solving the wrong problem before you deploy your solution.
- [25:53] 9% of premature deaths in the world are due to inadequate physical activity. If we can figure these behavior change problems, we can really save lives.
- [26:48] 40% of premature deaths due to decisions that could be changed. This is a really big opportunity for impact, but it all starts with recognizing one of the challenges any individual is having.
- [28:41] If I have this problem. I know a lot of people struggle with this as well. I am going to figure out the why for all of us and how we might change it and make it better. It can help you change everything by looking at it in a positive way.
- [30:26] Katy shares one of the most frustrating findings of her career. A ton of things did work, but it didn’t create lifelong change.
- [33:23] It is important to have a reasonable goal with behavior change.
- [36:42] It can be really disruptive to have a fresh start if things are going really well. It is really hard to hold on and keep making progress.
- [38:46] If we want to change we have to remain vigilant.
- [39:27] Katy and Melina share their love for Harry Potter.
- [42:30] Check out the Harry Potter audiobooks. They are SO amazing!
- [44:09] Mindset has a huge impact on what we can achieve.
- [47:05] Melina shares her closing thoughts.
- [48:31] Melina’s first book, What Your Customer Wants and Can’t Tell You is officially on presale and available on Amazon, Bookshop, Barnes & Noble, Book Depository, and Booktopia. Buy today and be one of the first to receive a copy when it officially launches May 11, 2021. (NEXT WEEK!!!)
I hope you love everything recommended via The Brainy Business! Everything was independently reviewed and selected by me, Melina Palmer. So you know, as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. That means if you decide to shop from the links on this page (via Amazon or others), The Brainy Business may collect a share of sales or other compensation.
- The Brainy Business® on Facebook
- The Brainy Business on Twitter
- The Brainy Business on Instagram
- The Brainy Business on LinkedIn
- Melina on LinkedIn
- The Brainy Business on Youtube
- Join the BE Thoughtful Revolution – our free behavioral economics community, and keep the conversation going!
More from The Brainy Business:
- 🎉🎉🎉 Preorder Melina’s new book, What Your Customer Wants (And Can’t Tell You) on Amazon, Bookshop, and Barnes & Noble 🎉🎉🎉
Get the Books Mentioned on (or related to) this Episode:
Past Episodes and Other Important Links:
- Harry Potter Goodness
- Episode 136: Temptation Bundling: A Simple Trick to Reach Your Goals, a Behavioral Economics Foundations Episode
- Episode 81: How to Finally Change Your Behavior (So it Sticks)
- Episode 39: Expect Error: The “E” in NUDGES: A Behavioral Economics Foundations Episode: A Behavioral Economics Foundations Episode
- Episode 40: Give Feedback: The “G” in NUDGES: A Behavioral Economics Foundations Episode
- Episode 18: Priming: Why You Should Never Have A Difficult Conversation With Someone Holding An Iced Coffee: A Behavioral Economics Foundations Episode
- Episode 102: Confirmation Bias: How Your Subconscious Beliefs Shape Your Experiences (A Behavioral Economics Foundations Episode)
- Episode 4: Questions or Answers
- Episode 63: How To Set Up Your Own Experiments
- Episode 110: Survivorship Bias: Stop Missing What’s Missing (A Behavioral Economics Foundations Episode)
- Episode 34: Optimism Bias: The Good And The Bad Of Those Rose-Colored Glasses: A Behavioral Economics Foundations Episode
- Episode 150: Status Quo Bias: Why Change Feels Terrifying, a Behavioral Economics Foundations Episode