- [00:06] In today’s episode, I’m excited to introduce you to Sam Albert, Chief Digital Officer at Behaviorally.
- [02:50] Sam shares about himself, his background, and how he got into behavioral economics.
- [04:48] PRS changed its name to Behaviorally back in January 2021. They are really trying to understand consumer behavior and help their clients make good decisions based on that behavior.
- [06:45] Understanding how consumers are acting or reacting to certain stimuli in store and then what they tell you they actually would do or how they feel could be different. It is about lining those pieces up and telling one cohesive story that is going to essentially help clients to make good business decisions to move their businesses forward.
- [08:44] Behavioral science can pretty much be applied to every aspect of our lives and it is happening unbeknownst to us in every decision every day.
- [10:04] The industry is moving on this trajectory towards machine learning, more broadly leveraging AI.
- [10:44] They came up with a system called flash.ai. They are able to take their learnings and apply them so that the machine can learn how to mimic those behaviors.
- [11:30] Their system applies image recognition. The machine reacts to the visuals in a similar way to what a human would do.
- [12:39] This allows them to have a cohesive platform that takes into account all of the key pieces that really (from a behavioral standpoint) drive what consumers actually do in the market.
- [13:09] The change to AI was already happening and COVID accelerated that change.
- [15:00] The world is becoming increasingly more digital.
- [16:53] They use a dynamic system where the existing work they are doing is feeding the future models that are being built. The models are continuously being updated to reflect the real world.
- [18:32] They both validate the work to ensure it is accurate and the dynamic aspect of making sure the machine is keeping up with the pace of change in the world.
- [19:08] Sam shares some of the case studies for flash.ai.
- [20:14] If you don’t take the context around it into account, you put yourself in a position where you can either get false positives or false negatives and essentially give the wrong direction to clients. He is most proud of the system’s ability to take context into account.
- [21:36] Context and nuance makes a significant difference when you are talking about behavior in general.
- [23:27] They see flash.ai tool as an earlier stage tool. Flash.ai allows them to test without spending the time, money, or energy to get real consumer feedback.
- [25:46] Being different is important, but you don’t want to differentiate in ways that don’t help you stand out.
- [27:01] Flash.ai is the first step and hopefully it siphons down the different options that would go into a full test. Then you can fully validate those and do any fine tuning you need.
- [29:29] AI is not going away. It is just a matter of what it looks like in the future. The path to purchase is going to play a critical role in what we see in the future.
- [31:06] You can’t run away from technology. You just have to build it into what you are doing and leverage it. AI is going to play a pretty big role in that.
- [33:15] There is a lot that is lost when you switch to a digital environment. However, looking at it as an opportunity, how could we make this an amazing experience for everybody in a really powerful way?
- [35:58] Melina shares her closing thoughts.
[37:39] The Brainy Business was nominated for the best market research podcast of 2021. Vote for The Brainy Business here by August 31, 2021!
I hope you love everything recommended via The Brainy Business! Everything was independently reviewed and selected by me, Melina Palmer. So you know, as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. That means if you decide to shop from the links on this page (via Amazon or others), The Brainy Business may collect a share of sales or other compensation.
- The Brainy Business® on Facebook
- The Brainy Business on Twitter
- The Brainy Business on Instagram
- The Brainy Business on LinkedIn
- Melina on LinkedIn
- The Brainy Business on Youtube
- Join the BE Thoughtful Revolution – our free behavioral economics community, and keep the conversation going!
More from The Brainy Business:
- 🎉🎉🎉 Buy Melina’s award-winning book, What Your Customer Wants and Can’t Tell You on Amazon, Bookshop, Barnes & Noble, Book Depository, and Booktopia 🎉🎉🎉
Past Episodes & Other Important Links:
- The Annual Market Research Podcast Award – VOTE for The Brainy Business now!
- How This Year’s Nobel Prize Winning Research in Economics Can Help Your Business
- Episode 142: Status Quo Bias: Why Change Feels Terrifying, a Behavioral Economics Foundations Episode
- Episode 16: Framing: How You Say Things Matter More Than What You’re Saying: A Behavioral Economics Foundations Episode
- Episode 12: Relativity: The Brain Can’t Value One-Off Items: A Behavioral Economics Foundations Episode
- Episode 61: Color Theory: When It Comes To Color, This 1 Thing Matters More Than Anything Else
- Episode 11: Anchoring & Adjustment: The 1 Word That Increased Sales 38%: A Behavioral Economics Foundations Episode