I am very excited to bring back Nikki Rausch, from Sales Maven and one of my very favorite people on earth. You have heard Nikki’s name on the show before, and even her voice a couple of times – she is the first repeat guest ever on the show…but last time she was here she was doing the interviewing when the brainy pricing course first launched. Now, I’m asking the questions and we are having more of a comfortable conversation about ways to make it easy for people to do business with you.
I’ve had the joy of knowing Nikki for over 5 years now (almost 10? I’ve lost count!). We were in the same networking group and always got along. When I started doing freelance work while still in a corporate space, Nikki was one of my early clients – she hired me to edit her second book! I’m actually mentioned in the acknowledgements for her book Buying Signals, (though my last name is different). That book is awesome by the way, as is her third book The Selling Staircase.
Nikki and I don’t study exactly the same thing, but her background in neuro-linguistic programming (NLP) has a lot of similarities to behavioral economics. It is understanding and speaking better to the brain’s natural tendencies…so it is no wonder we get along so well.
We have an amazing conversation about making it easy for your potential clients to do business with you. Nikki shares tips that are aligned with the principles of NLP that can really make a difference when dealing with clients and potential clients. We talk about how to make it easy for your customer to take the next step, how to make the email about them, and scheduling with the client in mind.
CLICK THE IMAGE FOR YOUR FREE DOWNLOAD!
Download Closing the Sale for free.
- [04:43] Nikki is a sales coach, trainer and speaker; her company is Sales Maven. She is also an author and a podcaster with a background in sales and NLP.
- [05:17] Neuro-linguistic programming (NLP) is the study of communication and the way we process things in our brains. The programming part is about habits and patterns. Nikki has about 1,200 hours in training (compared to the 200 most others in the field have).
- [08:31] Many of us inadvertently communicate in a way that makes it difficult for customers to buy.
- [09:18] The easier you make it for someone to take that next step, the more likely they are to follow through.
- [11:02] Every time you put up a roadblock, you risk the chance of losing that potential client.
- [12:47] The answer to “tell me when you’re available” … is “never.”
- [14:18] You can use the three times technique. Ask if the potential client would like to chat and then give them three ranges of times. A range could be anytime between 9:00 and 3:00 or 8:00 and 8:30. Then follow up with, “Please choose what’s best for you. If you prefer something else…”
- [17:24] Scheduling links are common, but it needs to be framed in a way that doesn’t turn off your potential client. Make it easy for them. Don’t use “I” statements. Make it for the readers benefit. “Please choose the time that’s best for you.” Not “These are the times that work for me.”
- [24:27] Make “you” statements and ask questions. “Would you be open to meeting to talk?”
- [25:30] In a hurry? Don’t send that email. It’s worth it to slow down and think about how it will be received.
- [30:10] “What questions come to mind to you?” This phrase sounds better than “does that make sense?” (Melina’s personal mission is to remove this phrase from use.) “If” statements can be too much too.
- [33:31] “Do you have questions?” also isn’t an effective phrase. Try “What questions come to mind so far?” instead.
- [37:18] Let people know what you want instead of having a “go fish” mentality. Have a clear next step when you want someone to take action. Schedule a time to circle back.
- [45:10] You can find Nikki and her podcast on the Sales Maven. You can also download Closing the Sale for free.
Thanks for listening. Don’t forget to subscribe on Apple Podcasts or Android. If you like what you heard, please leave a review on iTunes and share what you liked about the show.
Links and Resources:
- The Brainy Business® on Facebook
- The Brainy Business on Twitter
- The Brainy Business on Instagram
- Sales Maven With Nikki Rausch
- Closing the Sale Free Download
- Nikki Rausch Sales Maven on Facebook
- Getting Ghosted By Potential Customers? It May Be Your Email Approach
- A Starbucks Barista Asked Me This 1 Simple Question, and Using It May Be a Great Way to Boost Your Sales
- Buying Signals: How to spot the green light and increase sales
- The Selling Staircase: Mastering the Art of Relationship Selling
- 66. Ultimate Pricing Confidence with Special Guest Interviewer Nikki Rausch
- 16. Framing: How You Say Things Matter More Than What You’re Saying: A Behavioral Economics Foundations Episode
- 23. Reciprocity: Give A Little, Get A Lot: A Behavioral Economics Foundations Episode
- 45. Overview of Personal Biases
- 95. Hate Being on Camera? Understand Your Brain’s Biases To Change Your Mind
- 11. Anchoring & Adjustment: The 1 Word That Increased Sales 38%: A Behavioral Economics Foundations Episode
- 32. The Overwhelmed Brain and Its Impact on Decision Making
- 18. Priming: Why You Should Never Have A Difficult Conversation With Someone Holding An Iced Coffee: A Behavioral Economics Foundations Episode
- 72. Friction – What It Is And How To Reduce It, with Roger Dooley